Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Wednesday Wellness: Hot Weather Running

I live in Wilmington, NC.
It. Is. Humid.
And therefore whether it's 70 or 100 degrees, you simply must accept the fact that you are going to sweat if you are outside. 

I sometimes love to run when my knee isn't aching like I'm 80 years old.
But if you're running in the heat, you'll need to remember a few things to ensure that you don't pass out overdo it.


Tips for Hot Weather Running:

1. Water is your friend.
I used to say that I drink water like a camel...buuut that doesn't make any sense at all since camel's don't drink that much, they just store water in their humps.
Anywho, drink water. All day. Every day.
Get a refillable bottle and take it with you everywhere.

2. Beat the heat.
Run early in the morning. 
(Running at 6:27 am is not a regular thing for me...I just don't normally take pictures of the times that I run in the morning.)
 If you try to run between 10 am and 6 pm...just don't.

3. Or run in the evening. 
Or don't because my dad hates when I do that.

4. Go slow. 
Especially if you're running long distances (not that "long distances" is subjective or anything), you are more likely to get overheated and tired faster if you push yourself in the heat/humidity.

5. Know when to stop.
I have to preach this to myself.  If I don't finish a run or if I have to stop mid-run I feel like a failure.
But then I realize that it's disgustingly hot outside and, well...I'm running. And I could be doing a lot of other, sedentary activities.
I would rather stop and walk for one minute than have to cut a run short because I am so overheated.

What are some other great hot weather running tips that you use?

2 comments:

  1. Sunscreen! My face frequently gets burned from runs in the summer because I forget to put it on. The water would definitely be my number one too...I use a CamelBak for long runs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right! Sunscreen or a hat! I honestly don't go anywhere without my camelbak...it's kind of pathetic. Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete